22nd International Summer University in Kőszeg, August 21 - September 02 2017
The current crisis of the EU and the dynamics of shifting global powers brings the region into a new era of uncertainty. Different nation states and political elites play a balancing act between national solidarity and EU cooperation, neoliberal free market economy and state sanctions on trade and flows of capital etc. At the same time, these countries are trying to transform state and society relations.
From 20 August to 1 September 2017, we welcome academics and students from all around the world and the region to discussions and dialogue about the challenges and possibilities for the region of Central Europe. This includes the development of cooperative networks, intellectual input, addressed to political elites as well as to societies. Participants are encouraged to address the complexities of current transformations, and our growing social responsibility in re-imagining Central Europe within the current transformation dynamics.
Core topics and invited lecturers:
- The cirsis of European narratives - where is Central Europe? (György Schöpflin - MEP, Tibor Navracsics - European Commissioner, György Csepeli - social-psychologist)
- Central Europe 4.0 - the new industrial revolution in the 21st century (Dezső Boda, Kornél Németh)
- New Wars - Security, Terrorism and technologies of surveillance (Jody Jensen, James M. Skelly, Mary Kaldor)
- Central Europe in the Context of Global Conflict (Amabassadors of V4 countries, Iván Bába, Ferenc Miszlivetz)
- The Future of Science in Central Europe (Eörs Szathmáry)
- Climate Change simulation game (Gyula Zilahy)
- Be Novative - presentation and evaluation workshop (Lajos Szabó)
- III. International KRAFT Conference (Zoltán Gaál, Miguel Ángel Diaz Camacho - C. J. Cella Univ. Madrid; Hillary Brown - CUNY)
- Integrated approaches to local culture (literature, history, music, art) - interactive workshops (Mónika Mátay, Rudolf Klein)
- Sustainability workshop (Sándor Kerekes, András Szöllősi-Nagy, Charles Vörösmarty - CUNY)
- Panel on Europe and Greece (Babanasis Stergios, Pogátsa Zoltán)
- Panel on Turkey and the Balkans (Danilo Türk, Ahmet Evin, Representatives of the Balkans States)
- 500th anniverasy of reformation - Europe, Central Europe and the question of religions
Date: from the 21st of August till 02nd of September
Venue: Institute of Advanced Studies Kőszeg - H-9730 Chernel str. 14.
More information about programmes and the application soon!